During Heritage Day on 21 December, visitors could come and take a look inside the building where the Oranje Line ships once departed from. Visitors were given a guided tour by a former employee of Thomsen's Havenbedrijf, the company that used to be located in the building. They enjoyed his colourful stories, including one about the Gold State Coach, which was transported from England to the Netherlands after the war and arrived in Rotterdam at Thomsen's. Special archive photographs were on display in the large open hall of the building.
The former gatehouse of Thomsen’s Havenbedrijf was designed by the architect Van den Broek and built in 1948. In 2003, coffee roaster Rob Kooij (Santas Koffie) bought the property, which had fallen into disrepair. He renovated it and turned it into a space for creative companies. Spark moved into the characterful building in 2007 and has enjoyed the beautiful views, the great atmosphere and the authentic style to the fullest ever since.
See also: www.openmonumentendag.nl